Wednesday, February 12, 2014

An Engineer's Testimony



I've never written a devotional or meditation before, but this story has been on my heart for a few days if not a week. Here it goes.

A few years back--seven or eight--when I was in my first year of teaching I went to the doctor. Insurance is rad!) He was a new doctor that I had never seen before. I had an icky toe fungus. You know the commercial where the ugly creature lifts up the toe nail and climbs in making it his new home? Yeah. I had that. Probably from high school locker rooms or the public pool. Anyhow, this doctor in Merced, CA, Dr. K--, took a look at my feet and was getting ready to write me that prescription.

I don't remember if I was wearing my cross necklace or not, but I probably was. Even so, I got the feeling afterward that what he said to me wasn't something he said to everybody who came through his office. He said, "You know how I knew? How I knew?" Before I could reply, he started on his testimony. (This is my best recollection of what he said as I am an educator, not a scientist.)

"I was an engineer before I became a doctor. I had a doctorate, and my job was to build computer models that could predict and explain the evolutionary process of various organisms, among other things. My data, my models were perfect. But the results were often unexplainable. Organisms that took 1,000 in our time to evolve from this to that took 10,000 years in the model. And sometimes we'd try to recreate a process for an organism and plug in all of the data based on scientific evidence, and we'd come up with a whole different time frame. I mean, we knew this thing had to have changed over 25,000 years because we had evidence of its primal stages and samples, fossils. But the model would say something like 5.53 thousand years. Again, thousands of years different than what we  knew without a doubt to be correct.

"I started going to church. I gave my life to Christ. I went back to school to become an MD so I could help people. If God could manipulate time, science, evolution, it wasn't too hard to believe that he could raise his dead son from the grave."

He kindly gave me my prescription with orders to have monthly blood tests to make sure my liver was okay on the medicine.

Happy to report my feet and my faith are better than ever.

Consider,

The manipulation of time is addressed in the Bible in Daniel:

Daniel 2:21 " He changes times and seasons; he sets up kings and deposes them. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning."

The differentiation between the Lord's mind and ours is clarified

Isaiah 55: 8-9 "'For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,' declares the Lord. As the heavens are higher than earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

NIV Student Version

Keep your ears open for unexpected testimony this week. Be blessed.
Stephanie
Photo from healthbyconnect.com via Google images




No comments:

Post a Comment